Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Life Goals

Way back in February I wrote in my LiveJournal about the importance of writing down your life goals, after having read something about that subject over at Millionaire Mommy Next Door. If you recall from when I first started this blog, I also had plans to overhaul my finances along with my eating habits, but the eating ended up taking precedence. One of the things she talks about is sharply defining your goals and your values: what it is you want, and what really matters to you. I've really only scraped the surface over there, but it got me thinking thoughts that I wanted to note for future reference. (So I said back in February.)

Anyway, I found these goals interesting to read. They are all still things I hope to achieve one day soon (though some will no doubt happen somewhere a ways down the line), and it was good to be reminded of them. I think everyone should have a list like this.

Without further adieu, here is my Life Goal List, with today's annotations in italics.

1. I want to catch up on all the recurring household bills and always pay them on time from now on (I still very much want to do this, but it hasn't happened yet -- I think I am getting close, though!)

2. Same for debts I have incurred (Ditto on this, though there has been progress; I've been studying Dave Ramsey)

3. I want to be able to be at home more often (This is something I am going to pursue at my annual review at work -- negotiating working at home a couple days a week)

4. I want to be free to travel (I'm not even sure how I could make this happen anymore, but it's definitely something that is still on my mind a lot)

5. I want to accumulate and always have on hand at least $10,000 as a cushion (Baby steps first, though! I'll start with $1,000 and work my way up)

6. I'd like to have more time to spend with family and friends (Also tied to money issues... if I have enough money saved, I wouldn't have to work as much...)

7. I want to be rid of extraneous crap in my life, and in this I am thinking about hobbies I enjoy but aren't worth the time and expense to me (Blythe dolls, I am looking at you!) (I have been working on this. I still have quite a lot to liberate myself from; it's just making the time to do it)

8. I don't want to live paycheck to paycheck anymore (Again, the money. I'm getting there.)

9. I want to focus on my art as my main pastime/hobby/vocation/whatever you want to call it (I go back and forth on this thought. It depends on the day, but yes, it would be pretty awesome to make my living as an artist above anything else)

10. I want to invest in other artists (I LOVE buying art, and do buy small, inexpensive pieces from time to time. I'd love to be able to really indulge in supporting my fellow artists someday, though!)

Obviously I still have a lot of work to do, but I think all of these goals are totally attainable within a few years if I focus hard enough and make the effort. Just like my weight loss and healthy lifestyle.

No comments: