Saturday, March 22, 2008

Couch to 5K: First-timer Victory!

Weight: 327.4
Total Weight lost: 22.6

I recently wrote about my resolve to finally start the Couch to 5K running plan. My first "run" was yesterday(!), and boy, I was scared/apprehensive/doubtful, but it turned out pretty great.

I have always wanted to be a runner (they always look so FREE and easy!), but aside from a short stint of fairly unsuccessful participation in the cross-country team in high school, I've never pursued that dream. Now, if I stick with it (and I will!), I may be completing the plan by the end of the Spring into Summer challenge (mid-June) I'm participating in over at the 100lbs2lose LJ community -- that would be awesome. It's one of my goals.

That challenge was just what I needed to recharge my batteries, psych myself up, and really go full force on my efforts to become more fit and a heck of a lot lighter on my feet. It's such an encouraging, motivating group over there, pretty awesome.

Oh yeah, so I bet you're dying to know how my first day went on the C25K? I surprised myself! OK, so my jogging portions were pretty darn slow, but I "jogged" nonetheless. And I made it through the whole session, about 1.5 miles, without collapsing. In fact, it was more leg pain than being out of breath that made it hard, I think. So that's good, I guess. :)

(Oh, and just in case you're not familiar with the program, the first week of training involves a 5-minute warm up walk, then 60 seconds of jogging alternating 90 seconds of walking for 20 minutes, and then I walked another 5 minutes to cool down. I'll be doing this plan three days a week on Fridays, Sundays, and Tuesdays.)

It's interesting because I find myself rather itchy to do something again today, but I will give my body a break and maybe just go for a regular walk or treat myself to a new pilates DVD and do that. Surprisingly, I'm not in too much pain. I feel an all-over low-grade pain with a bit more in the knees, which is understandable.

Another thing? I was not at all embarrassed about doing this in my neighborhood, which is urban-lite with lots of houses and light-to-medium traffic. I felt the contrary, in fact -- very proud to be doing it no matter how much jiggling occured.

I'm so excited! This is a real coup for me. I'm going to be a runner!

Yours in Ben-Gay and stinky socks,

r.

PS I did make arrangements with the electric company, so that's all better, and I worked something out with C. to pay my car off this week. Two financial things to cross off my list, hooray!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so AWESOME! I am also starting a training program... for biking... at a minimum a 150 mile MS ride, at maximum, 400 mile ragbrai. I did a 35 mile ride at 301 lbs... so I'm hoping that as I march down the scale, I can zip up the long biking trail! Congrats. Congrats. Congrats.

Anonymous said...

Well done! I gave the couch to 5k a try a while back, but didn't stick with it (mostly the absolutely awful miserable cold weather, couple with my aversion to getting up early - I don't know why I didn't think to do it over the weekend like you did - may go back to giving it another go!)
What I am doing is yoga and pilates, and somehow that pain the next day (when the instructor changes the exercises to target new areas) has ecome an almost enjoyable feeling (!) - and feeling your body getting stronger is well worth the effort no matter what method you're using to get it there!

radiosilents said...

Thanks, ladies, and continued good luck in your efforts as well! Keep me posted on your achievements!

xo r.