Thursday, July 3, 2008

It's Time for Success

Yes, I have decided: it's time for success.

This morning I weighed in at 306 pounds even, so yesterday's weigh was not a fluke! Hooray! I am just inching my way to sub-300... July is the month! (Not to focus on the scale, but... this is a crucial time!)

Also this morning I successfully completed another run on my new program, this time another 1.5 miles. Much easier than Tuesday's run, but still tough. It's funny... before I ran the 5K race last week running seemed like it was getting easier, but since then it's getting harder somehow! Every run is a struggle. It must get easier at some point, right? This morning one of the thoughts that crossed my mind was... Why exactly am I doing this? Not to get all existential on you, but really! It's a good question that I thought I answered for myself many times already, but now those reasons seem simplistic. Like, there's got to be something bigger about this, kind of like pondering existence itself! Why am I here? Because I am. Why do I run? Because I can? That said, I am really thankful for the "rest day" that is on the schedule for tomorrow, and the 30-minute walk that's on for Saturday. Hopefully it will get me rested and ready for another 3 miler on Sunday! At least today's run saw my speed go back up a little bit, so that's good. Moving along.

While I was out doing some warm-up walking, I saw one of my neighbors out with her dog. She yelled to me, "Looking good! I can really tell a difference!" This is a neighbor whom I have never actually met before, so it was nice to shake hands and get a name (Mary). It also made me feel really good that people who only ever see me from across the street notice my progress. That's pretty cool.

Motivation, motivation -- in real life and virtually (all you who read this and comment make me feel the same way!) -- keeps the momentum, makes it all worthwhile.

PS -- My stepdad is feeling better, and should be headed home today. Thanks for your thoughts and prayers, he'll continue to need them!

4 comments:

Cammy@TippyToeDiet said...

Lots of great stuff in this post! How wonderful (and motivating) that your neighbor noticed your progress and that she SAID SO. Great way to start off the weekend!

Anonymous said...

:) isn't it wonderful to get that motivating acknowledgement of your progress! :)

What a great day!

Michelle said...

First off congrats on the weight change. Things are really moving for you! The running has done this to me several times. It's doable, it's hard, it's easier, it nearly kills me, it's fun, I can't do it. I don't know when, or if, it will ever click for me and not be this way but I just wanted to let you know you're not alone. Let's keep trying this running thing and see if we ever get it, k?

Amy@RunnersLounge said...

I have been catching up on your blog and just wanted to drop you a note to say "hi" and "way to go". I am a really slow runner and have finished last in 4 races and know how tough it is to keep going, even when it is tough. Keep going but also take time to rest and cross train and it will keep getting easier.

PS...I don't know if you are a member of Runners' Lounge yet - but if you aren't, please consider joining - you are an inspiration and you can find other runners to hang out with. Plus, I would love for you to share your race story in the Inspirational race stories.

Take care,

Amy
amy@runnerslounge.com
www.runnerslounge.com
blog.runnerslounge.com